Thursday, February 8, 2007

Itching like mad!

So here I am at what I hope is the tail-end of my second-ever flare-up and am regaining the use of my right hand to the point where it doesn't feel like a rubber chicken on the end of my arm, but this damned itching on the right side of my neck at bedtime is driving me crazy. I can't be absolutely sure the itching is related to the MS, but I can't imagine what else it might be. It started in January right around the beginning of this flare-up and hasn't really stopped. It doesn't look like shingles, and if I restrain myself and don't scratch, it really doesn't look like anything. I read on the National MS Society webpage that itching is a possible symptom and that if MS is the cause, the only things that might work are
  • anticonvulsants, such as carbamazepine (Tegretol®), diphenylhydantoin (Dilantin®), and gabapentin (Neurontin®)
  • antidepressants, such as amitriptyline (Elavil®) and the MAO inhibitors
  • the antihistamine hydroxyzine (Atarax®).
Well, so far I've tried the Gabapentin anmd the Atarax, and neither seem to help. Lorazepam, which I guess is in the Valium family, has been mildly effective in at least calming me down enough to let me fall asleep. In fact, I just popped one and am typing this waiting for it to take effect. I think I feel it starting--We'll see.

I guess I'll sign out for now--until the next sleepless night...

No comments: